Thursday 5 December 2013

Thursday: Vanillekipferl

Yummy!

Wikipedia: "Vanillekipferl are Austrian, German, Czech, Slovak and Hungarian small, crescent shaped biscuits." If you interested to read more about Vanillekipferl, you can check out the Wikipedia aricle, it's in English as well as in German. The best Vanillekipferl I have ever tasted I got from Peter last year...maybe he cares to share his recipe with us?

I took my recipe from the course material booklet of Kreativer Süssspeisenkurs of Gabriela Holenstein and instead of Vanillekipferl they were called Vanillegipfel.

The dough is ready

Vanillegipfel

250 g wheat flour
1 pinch of salt
200 g butter
75 g icing sugar
10 g vanillasugar
seeds of 1/4 vanilla pod
100 g white grinded almonds

* Mix flour and salt
* Add butter in small cubes and mix with paddle attachment until crumbly
* Add the rest of the ingredients into butter-flour mixture and mix into a dough
* Cover up and place in the fridge for about halh an hour
* Keep the dough cold while forming rolls of finger thickness
* Cut the rolls in equally long pieces and form into half moons
* Place in the cool place for about 15 min
* Bake in 180 C for about 10 min
* Cool down and bust with icing/vanilla icing sugar

Cutting equally long pieces

Before baking

After baking

Icing sugar is the finishing touch...and no I'm not happy with the shape :(

Have a piece! The service dish is Mariskooli from Iittala, finnish design.

3 comments:

Ann J said...

Guten tag Anna, I found your blog while looking for Vanillekipferl recipes. I have not tried your recipe yet but have tried another from another blog. They turned out so delicious! My interest in German baking started last year after I visited Berlin. I look forward to your blog now. Keep writing!

Annamaarit said...

Hoi Ann, It's so nice that you left a comment!!! :D I've been to Berlin too and I absolutely love that city. My doings in this blog are bit of a mixture of Finnish-Swiss-German and everything between and it's definitive nice to know that somebody is reading this :D I hope you keep on reading.

Ann J said...

I will! :-)