Saturday 7 December 2013

Saturday: Anis-Chräbeli

Anis-Chräbeli

Today I want to share with you a recipe of Anis-Chräbeli. These are my favourite Christmas cookies here in Switzerland. Like with the other Swiss cookies, you can read more about this guetzli in German at the Kulinarisches Erbe der Schweiz. Briefly, the origin of Chräbeli is not known. First recipe can be found in a book published 1773. In and around Baden the Chräbelis are eaten around the year and elsewere in Switzerland around Christmas. The real Anis-Chräbeli From Baden are stone hard and one should be careful not to break ones teeth :D Normaly I have bough the ones from Hug and they are not quite as hard but hard enough.

I took the recipe for my Anis-Chräbeli from Saisonküche. It worked out okay but I actually prefer the ones from shop. Maybe next time I try some other recipe or maybe I have to let them dry out longer so that they will be harder.


The ingredients

Anis-Chräbeli

2 tbsp anisseeds
1/2 lemon
250 g icing sugar
2 big eggs
1/2 tbsp kirsch or lemon juice
300 g flour
1 pinch baking powder

* Toast the anis on a dry pan
* Beat the eggs and icing sugar to a foam (about 10 min)
* Add kirsch (lemon juice) and lemon zest
* Mix anis, flour, baking powder and add the mixture to the egg foam
* Mix quickly into a dough
* Place in the fridge for about 1 hour
* Form a long bar and cut pieces of about 6 cm long. Form a shape as in the photos.
* Let dry in a room temperature for 12 hours (I would let even longer)
* Bake in 140 C for about 20 min.
* Cool down


Forming the chräbeli

Forming the chräbeli

Enjoy!


No comments: