Sunday 15 September 2013

Potato-Veg curry




Here is a recipe for the curry lovers. I learned to do this curry with an ex-colleague of Peter and mine. I want to let you know that all the measurements are roughly stated and I never measure the spices. I just estimate.

Potato-veg curry
1 tbsp fennel seeds
1 tbsp black mustard seeds
some (preferably fresh) curry leaves
2 onions roughly chopped
1 bell pepper roughly chopped
1 small zucchini roughly chopped
2 big garlic cloves
1 tbsp roasted curry powder
1 tbsp dried coriander
1/2 tbsp dried chilli flakes (use more if you want it spicy)
1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp garam masala
1 can (c. 250g ) chopped tomato
about 500 g potatos in big cubes
2 fresh tomatos in big cubes
salt
water as needed
about 2 dl coco smilk
Fresh coriander to decorate

Heat up some oil (and clarified butter) in a pot. Add mustard and fennel seeds and wait until you hear a popping sound. Add onions and bell pepper and saute for a while. Add the fresh curry leaves and other spices and again saute for a while. Give the lovely aroma some time :) Add the canned tomatos, tomatos and potatos. Fill in enouhg water to cover the potatos. When I do a curry with potatos I usually add the salt at this point. Otherwise I only season at the end. Let the curry simmer until the potatos are cooked. Add some cocos milk and serve with some fresh coriander. I have also done a fish curry with this recipe. For the fish curry I leave the potatos out and cook the basic curry only with some veggies. When I am happy with the taste (maybe about 1 hour cooking) I add some cubes of fresh fish  and only cook the curry for another five minutes or so until the fish is cooked. I serve the curry with some rice.



No comments: