Tuesday 1 April 2014

Tomato-Oregano-Focaccia on the grill

Something good for breakfast

Last week I was in the book store because I wanted to find a good crime novel for me to induldge in during the solitaire evenings when my Hubby is at work. As usual, I ended up next to the cooking books section. Because the grill season has started here in Switzerland it has been on my mind that we need some ideas for good veggie grilling. As it happened, my crime search turned into a successful find of vegetarian grill book. The book is called "Grill it! Vegetarisch" by Ross Dobson. The original English title is "Fired Up Vegetarian" available in Amazon. I can truely recommend this book if you are looking for tipps and ideas for grilling without meat or for some nice side dishes. The recipes are simple and the ingredients are available pretty much everywhere. Since we are not the best recipe followers, when it comes to cooking, this book's recipes are also easily adjustable for your own flavour. Check it out!

Ancha baking bread

The book brought back a memory. When we were in Mosambique our cook Ancha prepared us some bread and even cakes on a tiny small charcoal stand grill. Back then I didn't pay so much attention for the whole procedure but since I saw the recipe for the focaccia in the Grill it!-book I decided to give it a try. Our Ancha had to work on a mini grill, but luckily our grill is big enough to place the whole form directly inside and the temperature control is also a bit easier. Here is the recipe:

Before baking

Palermo Focaccia

3 tsp Dry yeast (I used one pack of 7 g)
450 g Flour (type 550 or Italian type 00, I used normal wheat flour)
2 tbsp olive oil (I just used some, not too precise ;D)
Polenta for the form
1/2 tsp seasalt (Once again, I wasn's too precise)
60 g strained tomatos (I used tomato puree whithout measuring)
1 tsp dried oregano (used some thyme as well)

1. Mix 60 ml of warm water, the dry yeast and one table spoon of the flour in a smal bowl. Let the mixture stand in a warm place for about 10-15 minutes until it forms bubbles on the surface. 
2. Oil a round form of about 23 cm with olive oil and dust with polenta to avoid the focaccia sticking to the form. (I used normal spring form because I don't have anything more suitable. The author of the book is using a round casserole form).
3. Place the rest of the flour with the salt in a mixer bowl. Add 250 ml of warm water, the yeast mixture and the olive oil. Knead the dough in the stand mixer until its elastic and doesn't stick to the bowl. (The author writes 10 minutes but I think I only needed about 2 min.)
4. Place the dough in the prepared form and with the help of some flour press the dough evenly over the whole bottom  of the form.
5. With fingers press some holes on the top. Spread the tomatos and some olive oil on the top and sprinkle with oregano. Let raise in a warm place for about an hour.


On the grill

6. Heat up the grill to a medium temperature (I kept the temperature around 180-210 for the whole time of baking). Place the form, with a lid on, inside and bake for about 15-18 minutes. (I think I needed about 25 minutes.)


Just about to be ready

7. Serve warm with olive oil and seasalt. (I think that the Focaccia tasted the best the day after)


Enjoying the summerlike spring day.

No comments: