Tuesday 15 April 2014

Nettle-ricotta ravioli with bear's garlic pesto

Rolling the pasta dough

Those nettles and bear's garlic I talked about in the last post turned into a super fantastic dish of nettle-ricotta ravioli with bear's garlic pesto. I got the pasta dough recipe from my Italian colleague. At the moment I'm working in a kitchen which serves two restaurants. We have a normal Swiss restaurant but also an Italian restaurant. The team of the Italian restaurant actually comes from Italy and sometimes I'm not so sure if I'm in Italy or in Switzerland because all I hear are loud Italian voices ;D 

I have never been to Italy. It has always been one of those countries I definitive want to visit but even though it's so close we never made it there so far. Well, that's about to change in June. Our Italian guest chef comes from the southern part of Italy and as I was looking for some nice place to spend our wedding anniversary weekend this year he inspired me to book the flights to Bari. Maybe that's why in the last times I have had some Italy-fan-thing going on and what could be better to catch some of that Italian flavour than home made ravioli. Here is the recipe for the ravioli dough:

Ravioli dough
400 g flour
1 egg yolk
1 big egg
50 g olive oil
50 g white wine

Just throw all the things in the mixer bowl and let the stand mixer do the kneading. If needed use more wine for more moisture. You should let the dough rest for about one hour before rolling. I did the dough a day before and it worked out fine.

Soon thin enough to be filled

For the filling I didn't use any precise recipe or measurement. I just threw together what tastes good gives a nice consistancy. Here is what I used:

Nettle-Ricotta filling:
250 g Ricotta
blanched nettles (about 100g after blancing)
grated parmesan
1 egg yolk
pepper
salt

Placing the top layer of the dough on the filling. Before placing the top layer you should brush the down layer with some egg so the they stick together good.

Cutting the ravioli

These with the round shape might in fact be called something else than ravioli?

Ravioli

With rest of the dough I made tagliatelle
I also didn't use a recipe for the bear's garlic pesto. I had forgotten to buy pine nuts so I used peeled  almonds instead. It's really easy to make. You just throug all the things in the blender, let it blend well and ready is the pesto. I used:

 Bear's garlic pesto
mixture of olive oil and canola oil
bear's garlic leaves
peeled almonds
some lemon juice
grated parmesan
salt and pepper. 

Bear's garlic pesto

Ravioli filled with nettles and ricotta served with bear's garlic pesto, tomato concassé and parmesan

Lillet vive as apéritif then pasta with pinot grigio

No comments: